November 1, 2007

The Opening Shot

Yes, it's the opening shot of The Closing Shot: Movie Reviews.
I'm your reviewer, The Movielyst.
Here's my format:

1) A basic review complete with a rating and suggested audience/recommendations for watching.

2) The occasional more in-depth, probably spoiler-filled commentary-the Extended Review.


I've lost track of how many times people have asked me why I can't just watch a movie like a normal person. To me, the story is always quite important, but there's so many more elements that go into making a movie. The wrong lighting or a poor song choice can easily shatter a moment as much as a bad acting choice. And when elements like those work just right... most people don't even notice them - which is how it should work but it's nice to appreciate that as well.

The closing shot of a movie is the last visual impression a movie-watcher sees of the movie. It's the film's goodbye. Some movies have beautiful closing shots that make you want to chase after it and beg the movie not to end. And some movies have a boy wizard riding a broom freeze-framed.

Yes, it's true; I have a least favorite type of closing shot.

But this is also my closing shot... or rather my parting shot at each movie after I watch it.

Enjoy.